After we move to Logan and Rocky started school, I noticed that I was really moody in the mornings. I admit that I really just thought that I was pregnant and that it was some sort of diabetic sugar imbalance. The further the week progressed the more I decided that it was some sort of depression.
I do think that my diet has something to do with it. I really crave sugars in the morning, but I know that if I eat them that I 'll be wiped out for a few hours. So I tried really hard to avoid milk and sugar in the morning. I even tried to eat fruit instead to get some sort of natural sucrose in me. That didn't seem to work at all. Well, I decided to look up morning depression and I found this article that gave me an idea of what might be going on.
http://www.healthcentral.com/depression/c/84292/88543/depression
"
I really think that there were several factors that play a role in my problem:
Lack of sleep...good old 6am days.
I'm still breastfeeding and my blood sugar could be low in the morning.
Rocky is going to school and I have more time with the kids.
The weather is changing, especially this weekend with the rain.
The last two listed, I believe, are the key culprits. I get bored more frequently with the kids living here in the this apartment. To list a few differences: I have less to take care of, no cat to feed or garden to water. I also feel way too close to our neighbors and I really feel like I delving into their lives just by doing my everyday chores. Yet, I don't want to close myself off completely by closing the drapes and living in a cave all day. If I were closer to the neighbors, I think that it would be different, but the situation with Chelsea has gotten to a point where I just want to hide.
I do think that my diet has something to do with it. I really crave sugars in the morning, but I know that if I eat them that I 'll be wiped out for a few hours. So I tried really hard to avoid milk and sugar in the morning. I even tried to eat fruit instead to get some sort of natural sucrose in me. That didn't seem to work at all. Well, I decided to look up morning depression and I found this article that gave me an idea of what might be going on.
http://www.healthcentral.com/depression/c/84292/88543/depression
Do You Have Morning Depression?
30
Over the months that I have been writing for My Depression
Connection I have noticed a definite trend of members who talk about
feeling more depressed and/or anxious in the morning hours than any
other time of day. So I decided to do a little research to find if this
were a common phenomenon for people who suffer from depression and what
one can do about it.
In fact I did find many references in the literature for morning depression by its formal name of diurnal mood variation. Diurnal
mood variation is described as a symptom of generally more severe
depression where one's mood is worse at certain times of day. For many
people this time of day is the morning hours where one feels the worst
and then they may feel better as the day goes on. It is unclear what
causes diurnal mood variation but some think it has to do with a
disruption to biological circadian rhythms or our body's natural body
clock. For some people it may be biologically easier to feel better
later in the day.
It is postulated that people who suffer from seasonal affective
disorder or SAD also have a disruption of their biological circadian
rhythms. A cluster of nerves in the brain located on the on the
hypothalamus are responsible for our biological clock. What affects our
biological clock? Light is definitely one factor and this is why some
folk feel off kilter or even depressed as the winter approaches giving
us less daylight. If your biological clock is offset this can affect
the secretion of melatonin which induces sleep. People with a
disturbance to their body clock may suffer from depression, bipolar
disorder, seasonal affective disorder or have sleep problems. You may
read more about how disruptions to our body clock affect our mental
health by reading this article by Patrick C. Marino entitled, "Biological Rhythms as a Basis for Mood Disorders."
Getting back to the topic of morning depression, I have my own
personal thoughts about why some people feel worse in the mornings based
upon both the description of our circadian rhythms and also from my own
experience. Here are some of my guesses as to why some people suffer
from morning depression.
- Once the seasons change, especially from summer to winter there is a
period of time when it is likely you will wake up in darkness and if
you work, you will also return home in darkness. For all the people
working in sunless cubes, you may totally miss any light at all. Many
studies have shown that a lack of light can make you feel depressed and
also mess with your biological clock.
- In the mornings your blood sugar may be low. You have not eaten in
many hours. And if you are a person who skips breakfast then you are
increasing the odds for feeling crummy due to a lack of energy.
- Many people who suffer from depression also suffer from sleep
problems. If you have not gotten a good night's sleep then you are going
to wake up feeling tired and miserable.
- Sleep can be a refuge for those of us who suffer from depression.
Waking up disrupts that peaceful feeling as the pressures and anxieties
of the day come flooding into our consciousness. It is so to speak, a
"rude awakening." Some days when I wake up, my worries feel like I am
being pelted by rocks. They seem all the more magnified because of the
sharp contrast between sleep and wakefulness.
- When you are depressed, the beginning of the day can seem overwhelming. There is so much time ahead for things to potentially go wrong. There are days when I wake up and think, "Please help me to survive this day." Those are the days you have to literally push yourself to get out of that bed.
"
I really think that there were several factors that play a role in my problem:
Lack of sleep...good old 6am days.
I'm still breastfeeding and my blood sugar could be low in the morning.
Rocky is going to school and I have more time with the kids.
The weather is changing, especially this weekend with the rain.
The last two listed, I believe, are the key culprits. I get bored more frequently with the kids living here in the this apartment. To list a few differences: I have less to take care of, no cat to feed or garden to water. I also feel way too close to our neighbors and I really feel like I delving into their lives just by doing my everyday chores. Yet, I don't want to close myself off completely by closing the drapes and living in a cave all day. If I were closer to the neighbors, I think that it would be different, but the situation with Chelsea has gotten to a point where I just want to hide.
댓글 없음:
댓글 쓰기